Sunday Service: The Teachings of Mahatma Gandhi

Mahatma Gandhi (1869–1948)

Born on October 2, 1869, in Porbandar, India, Mahatma Gandhi studied law and came to advocate for the rights of Indians, both at home and in South Africa. Gandhi became a leader of India's independence movement, organizing boycotts against British institutions in peaceful forms of civil disobedience. He was killed by a fanatic in 1948.

"Where there is love there is life."
“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”

“When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

“Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.”

“When every hope is gone, 'when helpers fail and comforts flee,' I find that help arrives somehow, from I know not where. Supplication, worship, prayer are no superstition; they are acts more real than the acts of eating, drinking, sitting or walking. It is no exaggeration to say that they alone are real, all else is unreal.”

“Prayer is not an old woman's idle amusement. Properly understood and applied, it is the most potent instrument of action.”

“I must say that, beyond occasionally exposing me to laughter, my constitutional shyness has been no dis-advantage whatever. In fact I can see that, on the contrary, it has been all to my advantage. My hesitancy in speech, which was once an annoyance, is now a pleasure. Its greatest benefit has been that it has taught me the economy of words. I have naturally formed the habit of restraining my thoughts. And I can now give myself the certificate that a thoughtless word hardly ever escapes my tongue or pen. I do not recollect ever having had to regret anything in my speech or writing. I have thus been spared many a mishap and waste of time. Experience has taught me that silence is part of the spiritual discipline of a votary of truth. Proneness to exaggerate, to suppress or modify the truth, wittingly or unwittingly, is a natural weakness of man, and silence is necessary in order to surmount it. A man of few words will rarely be thoughtless in his speech; he will measure every word. We find so many people impatient to talk. There is no chairman of a meeting who is not pestered with notes for permission to speak. And whenever the permission is given the speaker generally exceeds the time-limit, asks for more time, and keeps on talking without permission. All this talking can hardly be said to be of any benefit to the world. It is so much waste of time. My shyness has been in reality my shield and buckler. It has allowed me to grow. It has helped me in my discernment of truth.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Brain That Wouldn't Die" Being Remade In Oregon - First Images

Skyhigh (TV Series)(2003-2004)

Popular posts from this blog

Sexy Model Bettie Page Notorious Erotic Pin Up Goddess

Starcrash (1979)(New World Pictures)

Flashback Friday: Godzilla vs The Gryphon

What Are Celebrities Doing For Halloween? - Part 1

Geek-O-Rama: Throwing It All Away

Haruo Nakajima (1923 - 2017) What Was It Like To Play Godzilla, King Kong, Rodan, And Mothra?

New Toy Tuesday: Godzilla, Star Trek, Star Wars, Daleks and Flying Gamera

Attention Micronians Robotech Returns To Comics!

RED TIDE: There's Something On The Boat ... Some Thing

Popular posts from this blog

Sexy Model Bettie Page Notorious Erotic Pin Up Goddess

Hailey Clauson, Ashley Graham and Ronda Rousey A Sports Illustrated Swimsuit First! Three Covers; Three Cover Models

"The Brain That Wouldn't Die" Being Remade In Oregon - First Images

Top of the morning to ye today everyone is a little bit Irish

Notice To Godzilla Fans In Japan

Wonder Woman (1942-1986 1st Series DC) #191, December 1970 Issue - DC Comics

Godzilla 2: First Set Photos ... More Monsters?

UFO - Fighting Aliens In A Super Sexy Future!

What Are Celebrities Doing For Halloween? - Part 1

A Millenial Reviews: ‘Star Trek’ Is a Blatant, Boring Rip-Off of ‘Star Wars’